Find alternatives to calling the Seattle Police Department.

Typically, people call the police because they are experiencing or perceive an emergency and need immediate assistance. In order to provide the most effective alternatives to calling the police or 911, unless otherwise indicated, the resources included here are limited to those that offer immediate assistance through emergency or crisis services.

Where we know or suspect that a resource may work in cooperation with law enforcement, we acknowledge that in the listing.

These resources are not intended to cover all situations, only to provide the services described. If you are in danger of immediate harm and feel safe doing so, call 911.


  • HOST (Homeless Outreach Stabilization and Transition)
    • Part of the Downtown Emergency Services Center. Works to locate eligible persons, then assesses them and provides access to survival services such as food, clothing, shelter, showers, and laundry. Acute mental and physical health needs are also met through partnership with nursing and prescribing services. Provides intensive case management and stabilization services with a full range of community support and treatment.


Coming soon.

Mental Health

  • Crisis Connections
    • Provides immediate help to individuals, families, and friends of people in emotional crisis. Links Seattle-King County residents to emergency mental health services.
    • 1 (866) 4-CRISIS or (206) 461-3222 (24-Hour Crisis Line)
  • I’m Hurting Crisis Chat
    • Helps people by providing online emotional support during times of crisis. Everyone is welcome to talk about what’s causing them to feel pain. Crisis Counselors will listen to callers without judgment and help them feel cared about and safe. Based in Everett, WA
    • 3 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
    • (800) 273-TALK (8255)

Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault

  • DAWN (Domestic Abuse Women’s Network)
    • 24-hour Advocacy and Support Line. Per their website, the sole provider of emergency shelter for victims of domestic violence in the area.
    • (425) 656-7867 (24/7)
  • King County Sexual Assault Resource Center
    • Provides crisis intervention, information and referrals, and on-going support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    • 1 (888) 998-6423 (24/7)


Please note, people answering these calls may be mandatory reporters, and required to make a report to CPS or law enforcement in certain situations. Learn about local mandatory reporter laws here.


Coming soon.


  • Victim Support Services
    • Victim Support Services is a non-profit agency serving Snohomish, King, Island, Skagit, and Whatcom counties. Call the 24-Hour Crisis Hotline to speak with a trained advocate who can provide assistance with needs resulting from victimization.
    • 1 (888) 288-9221

Substance Abuse

Coming soon.

Please consider using these alternatives to calling the Seattle Police Department or 911 when faced with a situation that calls for de-escalation and/or intervention. We can abolish the police by not calling the police.

We have tried to indicate where police or law enforcement may work with the alternative resources listed; please let us know if you have any concerns about these resources.

Reimagine public safety. Don’t call the police.

Suggest an edit to this page.