Omaha, NE

Find alternatives to calling the Omaha Police Department.

Typically, people call the police because they are experiencing or perceive an emergency and need immediate assistance. In order to provide the most effective alternatives to calling the police or 911, unless otherwise indicated, the resources included here are limited to those that offer immediate assistance through emergency or crisis services.

These resources may be obligated to call police in the case of an immediate risk of harm to the caller or another, child abuse, or abuse of a vulnerable adult. Where we know or suspect that a resource may work in cooperation with law enforcement or involve them beyond what is required by law, we acknowledge that in the listing.

These resources are not intended to cover all situations, only to provide the services described. If you are in danger of immediate harm and feel safe doing so, call 911.


Coming soon.


  • PFLAG Omaha
    • Chapter of PFLAG National. Offers support for families, allies and people who are LGBTQ. Confidential helpline for LGBTQ+ people or their families who are seeking support or community referrals.
    • (402) 291-6781

Mental Health

  • Safe Harbor Community Alliance
    • A mental health agency that offers a whole-person approach, including psychiatric and counseling services integrated with primary health care and a range of rehabilitation, employment and community supports. An option for people experiencing mental health difficulties who do not want to go to a hospital. 24-hour peer warmline staffed by people who have overcome mental health crises. Services are free to people in Region 6.

Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault

  • Women’s Center for Advancement
    • Assists victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, abuse, stalking or human trafficking. Advocates assist with criminal, legal, and medical systems; therapists for ongoing trauma assistance; financial aid available.
    • (402) 345-7273 (24/7)


Please note, people answering these calls may be mandatory reporters, and required to make a report to CPS or law enforcement in certain situations. Learn about local mandatory reporter laws here.

Coming soon.


Coming soon.


  • Legal Aid of Nebraska
    • Provides both electronic tools as well as in-person clinics for certain types of legal issues where Nebraskans may be empowered to help themselves solve their own legal issues
    • Statewide Access: 1 (877) 250-2016
      • Monday/Wednesday/Friday: 8:30 a.m. โ€“ 11:30 a.m; Tuesday/Thursday: 1 p.m. โ€“ 4 p.m.
    • Native American Access Line: 1 (800) 729-9908
      • Monday-Friday: 9 a.m. โ€“ 12 p.m.
    • Agricultural workers’ rights: 1 (877) 250-2016, Press 7
      • 24/7, se habla espanol


Coming soon.

Please consider using these alternatives to calling the Omaha Police Department or 911 when faced with a situation that calls for de-escalation and/or intervention.

We have tried to indicate where police or law enforcement may work with the alternative resources listed; please let us know if you have any concerns about these resources.

Reimagine public safety. Don’t call the police.

Suggest an edit to this page.