Find alternatives to calling the Hattiesburg Police Department.
Typically, people call the police because they are experiencing or perceive an emergency and need immediate assistance. In order to provide the most effective alternatives to calling the police or 911, unless otherwise indicated, the resources included here are limited to those that offer immediate assistance through emergency or crisis services.
These resources may be obligated to call police in the case of an immediate risk of harm to the caller or another, child abuse, or abuse of a vulnerable adult. Where we know or suspect that a resource may work in cooperation with law enforcement or involve them beyond what is required by law, we acknowledge that in the listing.
These resources are not intended to cover all situations, only to provide the services described. If you are in danger of immediate harm and feel safe doing so, call 911.
- CONTACT the Crisis Line
- 24/7 crisis line for people experiencing mental health difficulties, stress, or suicidal thoughts. Provide information and referrals. Based in Jackson, serves all of Mississippi.
- (601) 713-HELP (4357)
- Pine Belt Mental Healthcare Resources
- Providing mental health services for adults, children, and chemical dependency. Provides Mobile Response Crisis Services through crisis line, will come to person in crisis for assessment and stabilization.
- (601) 544-4641 or (888) 330-7722 (Crisis line)
- (601) 544-4641 (Forrest County – General)
- (601) 794-6543 (Lamar County – General)
Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault
- Domestic Abuse Family Center
- 24-Hour crisis services and emergency shelter
- Local crisis line Laurel: (601) 428-8821
- Local crisis line Hattiesburg: (601) 582-2102
- Statewide crisis line, 24-hours: 1 (800) 649-1092
- State of Mississippi Domestic Violence Hotline
- 1 (800) 893-3234
- The Shafer Center for Crisis Intervention
- The Shafer Center for Crisis Intervention is a social change agency that is dedicated to serving all survivors of sexual violence and co-victims of violent death, including homicide and suicide, at any point following their experience through exemplary direct services, advocacy, education, training and activism.
- (601) 264-7777 (24-hour support line)
- (601) 264-7078 (Hattiesburg location)
- (601) 649-1721 (Laurel location)
Please note, people answering these calls may be mandatory reporters, and required to make a report to CPS or law enforcement in certain situations. Learn about local mandatory reporter laws here.
Please consider using these alternatives to calling the Hattiesburg Police Department or 911 when faced with a situation that calls for de-escalation and/or intervention. We can abolish the police by not calling the police.
We have tried to indicate where police or law enforcement may work with the alternative resources listed; please let us know if you have any concerns about these resources.
Reimagine public safety. Don’t call the police.