Grand Rapids, MI

Find alternatives to calling the Grand Rapids Police Department.

Don't Call The Police logo, a database of alternatives to the police

Typically, people call the police because they are experiencing or perceive an emergency and need immediate assistance. In order to provide the most effective alternatives to calling the police or 911, unless otherwise indicated, the resources included here are limited to those that offer immediate assistance through emergency or crisis services.

These resources may be obligated to call police in the case of an immediate risk of harm to the caller or another, child abuse, or abuse of a vulnerable adult. Where we know or suspect that a resource may work in cooperation with law enforcement or involve them beyond what is required by law, we acknowledge that in the listing.

These resources are not intended to cover all situations, only to provide the services described. If you are in danger of immediate harm and feel safe doing so, call 911.


Coming soon.


Mental Health

Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault

  • Safe Haven Ministries*
    • Emergency safe shelter and assistance for people experiencing domestic violence. 24/7 Hotline.
    • (616) 452-6664
    • *Please note, this resource is Christian-affiliated
  • YWCA West Central Michigan
    • 24-Hour confidential sexual assault and domestic violence helpline. Can provide referrals and emergency housing.
    • (616) 454-9922


Please note, people answering these calls may be mandatory reporters, and required to make a report to CPS or law enforcement in certain situations. Learn about local mandatory reporter laws here.

Coming soon.


Coming soon.


  • Legal Aid of Western Michigan
    • Providing free legal advice and representation to low income individuals in a broad range of areas including consumer cases, family matters, housing problems, government benefits, and more.
    • 616-774-0672
    • TTY: 711 relay or (616) 727-0916
  • Legal Assistance Center
    • Offering guidance to help people help themselves by providing legal information, forms, guidance and resources to solve legal problems and use the courts. Most services are free. They do not provide legal representation.
    • (616) 632-6000 or walk-in services at the Kent County courthouse from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.


Coming soon.

Please consider using these alternatives to calling the Grand Rapids Police Department or 911 when faced with a situation that calls for de-escalation and/or intervention.

We have tried to indicate where police or law enforcement may work with the alternative resources listed; please let us know if you have any concerns about these resources.

Reimagine public safety. Don’t call the police.

Suggest an edit to this page.